Stephen M. Seeger
Stephen M. Seeger is a litigation partner specializing in construction, commercial, and government contracting.
He has successfully tried dozens of complex cases in the state and federal courts of the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia, as well as arbitral panels, administrative boards and boards of contract appeals. With that perspective, he counsels his commercial and construction industry clients on litigation avoidance and opportunity optimization.
Steve understands that every client and every case is unique - that there is no silver bullet that resolves all problems. He listens and then strives to achieve what the client wants, not what maximizes billable hours.
Steve serves his construction clients best when involved from project conception through final completion. He routinely assists in contract drafting and negotiation; review of plans and specifications; scope analysis and bid responsiveness; on-site performance and contemporaneous documentation; change order and claim development and analysis.
When the situation is suitable, but not as a knee-jerk reaction, he leads his clients through creative and alternative dispute resolution processes. And he appreciates when resort to the courts is the best strategic decision and most advantageous recourse.
Education:George Washington University Law School (J.D. 1990)
Lehigh University (B.A. 1985)
Admitted to practice: 1990, Maryland; 1991, District of Columbia, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland; 1992, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, U.S. Claims Court (Court of Federal Claims), U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; 1995, Virginia, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia; 1997, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; 1999, U.S. Supreme Court.
American Bar Association, Construction Law; District of Columbia Bar Government Contracts and Litigation Committee (past chair on Community Outreach Section - connecting local LSDBE/MBE contractors with federal and local government contracting agencies); Washington Building Congress (past chair Legislative/Regulatory Affairs Committee)
- Rayder v. Ahtna Government Services Corp., 2006 WL 3000457, *1, (E.D.Va.,2006)
- Connally Contracting Co. v. Local Communications Network, Inc., 2006 WL 2645177, *1 (E.D.Va.,2006)
- In Re Capitol Hill Group, 344 B.R. 709 (D.D.C., 2006)
- Prod-X Distributors, Inc. v. Capitol Resource Funding, Inc., 111 Fed.Appx. 679 (4th Cir. ,2004)
- Fleming, Zulack & Williamson, LLP v. Information Super Station, LLC, 215 F.R.D. 5 (D.D.C.,2003)
- Will H. Hall and Son, Inc. v. U.S., 54 Fed.Cl. 436 (Fed.Cl.,2002)
- General Ins. Co. of America v. Interstate Service Co., Inc., 118 Md.App. 126, 701 A.2d, 1213 (Md.App.,1997)
- Urban Masonry Corp. v. N & N Contractors, Inc., 676 A.2d 26 (D.C.,1996)
- Chambco, Div. of Chamberlin Waterproofing & Roofing, Inc. v. Urban Masonry Corp., 338 Md. 417, 659 A.2d 297 (Md.,1995)
- Greycoat Hanover F Street Ltd. Partnership v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Co., 657 A.2d 764 (D.C.,1995)
- Chambco, Div. of Chamberlin Waterproofing & Roofing System, Inc. v. Urban Masonry Corp., 101 Md.App. 664, 647 A.2d 1284 (Md.App.,1994)
Publications and Speaking Appearances:
- Government Contracts, The District of Columbia Practice Manual (11th Ed. 2002 and 12th Ed. 2003)
- Researching Government Contracts Law on the Internet, Federal Government Construction Contracts (2003)
- Frequent lecturer on current issues in construction and government contracts law.